Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Lah dee dah, update!

From Melissa, cross-posted from Livejournal.

You guys have got to be sick of hearing about my sick ass by now, huh? That's all I ever talk about! But here's the latest.

Last week (6/1 - 6/5) I was in the hospital for my last round of chemo. The Wednesday before that I got a bone marrow biopsy. Now everyone I've talked to said that my biopsy came back clean on the most sensitive level (molecular - that's right, I don't even have cancer in my molecules) except if you ask my actual doctor who insists the results aren't back yet. O.o I guess it's possible that everyone else was looking at a different test... but it's a strange thing. So I guess I'm waiting until I talk to her in person on 6/19 to get the real truth on that.

Speaking of squeezing the truth out of Dr. Larson, once again they decided to spring intra-thecal chemo on me at the last minute. In case you need a recap, that's where they do a lumbar puncture, remove some spinal fluid, and replace it with chemo drugs to decrease the risk that I have a nervous system relapse. The problem with this (bwahahaha - one problem anyway) is that chemo drugs make my brain angry. And by angry I mean intensely painful unless I lay flat on my back. Coming back to the original intent of this paragraph, I spoke with the good doctor after I had this intense headache for two weeks last time they did this and she agreed that the risks may outweigh the benefits. Which is why it irked me that instead of calling or visiting my room to speak to me about having doubts in that decision, she sent some other doctor to hardball me. The phrase "Well you're going to need it anyway so you might as well get it now" was thrown about. Sooomeone just lost some professionalism points. The thing is, last time she said she was afraid it had caused chemical meningitis and was unsure she wanted to do any more of this on me. *Massive eye roll*

Anyway, I'm home now. I'm sick to my stomach a decent amount of the time and I have a bad headache, but I went to clinic today and my numbers were good. I'm getting by, and I'm definitely medicated (so don't you worry there, darlings!). I'm thinking about going back to work. Not just now - just thinking. Maybe in July. I think I'll need more IT chemo, but if indeed I'm in molecular remission my chances of relasping are insanely low... so maybe I'll get back in the swing of things again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment